Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cambridge

After spending most of the day yesterday resting and recovering both from travelling and the past two weeks of work (I slept in, read my book, napped, etc....), today was the day to get out and see Cambridge! (Eli was busy with classes, etc., and unfortunately couldn't join me.) I was so thankful to see the sun shining when I woke up - apparently most of the English winter is cold and cloudy/rainy, and sunshine is a rare treat. It didn't last all day but at least it didn't rain! (And while cloudy weather limits what one can do with lighting for photographic purposes, I had a few shots that turned out alright....)

I spent the morning wandering through some of the "colleges" at Cambridge and enjoying the beautiful green lawns and old architecture. (Cambridge is organized into residential "colleges" - King's College, St. John's college, etc. - Churchill College in Eli's case - that are separate from the academic departments.) I was pretty sure I was an uninvited guest in some cases, as the colleges are closed to visitors (or even charge admission!) for some parts of the day, but I decided that as long as I acted like I knew where I was going, and didn't dilly-dally taking too many pictures, everyone would just think I was a student!

Trinity College Bridge over the Cam:


Then I headed to the Cambridge Botanical Gardens. I knew there wouldn't be much blooming in the middle of winter, but it was still a nice walk.

Snowdrops:


in the Winter Garden:


Orchids in the "hothouse:"


I also stopped by the local art museum, and then headed for a bookstore/cafe for afternoon tea and a croissant, and relaxed with a copy of Jane Eyre (feeling very British by this time!). Altogether a very pleasant day which I may repeat parts of (especially the afternoon tea part!) tomorrow!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

sounds like you are relaxing and having a lot of fun!! I love the pictures!...especially the one of yourself...did you use the timer on that one? post more as you have time. some of us have to live vicariously through you :)

Kim said...

Grace, I am missing my nightly visits from you! We are actually really praying we will not be heading back to children's bc ella just came down with a fever and throw up so hopefully miller will not get it. Anyway... Murray and I spent a semester in London and we lived by the same philosophy. If you act like you know what you are doing no one will question. Enjoy your time!
Kim