Sunday, August 5, 2007

Thoughts on Laziness

I love being lazy.... in the moment, that is. It was so nice to spend the whole day yesterday in my pyjamas, never leaving the house, sitting on the couch playing board games and watching baseball and brainless movies (Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson being very silly) and working on a crochet project. But I always pay for my laziness later. I wish I'd gotten up at some point and gone to the gym and/or the grocery store, or done laundry, or cleaned, or studied, or done any one of those things that I had meant to spend all weekend doing!

So I loved being lazy yesterday, but today I hate that I was lazy yesterday. I think it's mostly because I still have to do all the cleaning/laundry/studying/errands/etc., as unfortunately the laundry didn't do itself, surprise surprise, nor did any of those other things get done without my putting the energy into the doing of them. But, I think that a large part of me wants to be a go-go-go kind of person, always on top of things, always with lots of energy to get everything done & learned on time, and so I hate it when the real me comes through and turns out to be just a lazy slug!

1 comment:

BruceHarrington said...

I think it was G.K.Chesterton who said the problem with willpower is that there is a lot less power than will. Lazy days remind us that the fallen world we live in includes our own hearts. Isn't it good that the God of Grace accepts us as we are - lazy, unproductive, unrepentant, sinners? And yet in the whole of His love for us His children, He reminds us to call upon Him as Abba Father. Amazing Grace. Love, DAD