Friday, October 26, 2007

Good Morning from the ER

1:12 AM. Just over halfway through my ER shift tonight! I'm working a series of 7pm-7am shifts (fondly called "overnights"), beginning last night and going through Monday night. Certainly not my favorite thing I've done in residency so far, but at least I'm 1.5 shifts down, 4.5 shifts to go....

The Children's Hospital ER is an interesting place, to say the least. We have such a range of patients who come in - for example: between last night and tonight, I have:

  • sewn up 2 facial cuts (one hit chin on bathtub; one hit forehead on coffee table)
  • seen a few patients with wheezing (they all went home)
  • admitted a 6 year old girl to the psychiatry ward (she was threatening to kill her mother and sister, bad situation)
  • admitted an 18month old who swallowed a coin and is going to the OR tomorrow morning to have it removed
  • seen a few patients with colds (seriously.... there are WAY too many people who come to the ER with snotty noses and cough...)
  • seen a few patients with abdominal pain, diarrhea, etc.
  • seen a 7 week old with a VP shunt (a tube placed in the brain by a neurosurgeon to drain excess cerebrospinal fluid)

Trying to think... not much else that's been exciting.... Right now I'm just killing time until the next patient comes in, who knows what that will be.... or when, for that matter!

No comments: