Monday, November 26, 2007

Pink Eye, How I Hate Thee

Ah yes. After working a month in the Peds ER, I have contracted that oh-so-frightening infection known as pink eye. (Technically, viral follicular conjunctivitis - but pink eye covers it pretty well.) Bright red eye, itching, burning, tearing, swollen eyelid, eye crusted shut when I wake up in the morning, sore throat from all that drainage running down my throat, the works. And it's apparently highly contagious, which is why I haven't been allowed to work...

For the record, I have NOT wanted to be stuck at home with this infection - I have tried to work but continue to be told not to be around patients, other residents, etc., by DOCTORS... I was sent home from my ER shift on Wednesday morning with my bright red draining eye, then went Thursday evening for my overnight ER shift and was sent straight to the Eye Foundation Hospital's ER for an evaluation. That doc grounded me from work until it got better or until seeing my opthalmologist. No improvement over the weekend so I saw my doc today, who says come back Wednesday and no work before then! So I can't be back at work until Thursday at the earliest. SO frustrating. I will have missed 7 days of work just because of an eye virus! :(

1 comment:

Elijah Luke said...

Well, I guess I'm glad for you that it hasn't "made the jump" from one eye to the other, and doubled your eye troubles. And now you'll have a story to tell your kid patients who have pink-eye... still, no fun though, sorry sister dear :(